The Office of the Provincial Auditor of Saskatchewan
The Provincial Auditor is an independent Officer of the Legislative Assembly in the province of Saskatchewan.
We are the external, independent auditors of the Government of Saskatchewan. By sharing our audits’ results, we provide assurance and advice to the Legislative Assembly and the public on the management, governance, and effective use of public resources. This fosters accountability and transparency with respect to Government performance, systems, and practices.
We audit more than 230 agencies of the provincial Government, including ministries, Crown corporations, post-secondary institutions, health authorities, funds, and benefit plans in a range of industries and government sectors such as education, health, social services, insurance, finance, environment, and infrastructure. It takes significant hours to audit an entity, depending on the nature and complexity of both the organization and the audit itself.
In addition, we:
- Support and adhere to Canadian generally accepted assurance standards as published by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada)
- Recommend improvements to the Government’s management of public resources and compliance with authorities
- Encourage discussion and debate about public sector management and accountability issues
- Assist the Standing Committees on Public Accounts and on Crown and Central Agencies in carrying out their mandates in holding the Government to account
- Develop professionals for the public service